Thursday, January 22, 2015

Gajar ka Halwa.... (Carrot Pudding)

Yet another winter favourite desserts. Winters will be over in another 15 days, but the craze for the winter vegetables would still remain. I really relish the red carrots available in this season. I make sure that I use in all possible means in my meals. Made pickles, used it in mix vegetables, and the most popular way is halwa.
A rich and creamy desert with goodness of nuts and milk.
I have again made it in a traditional way just like moong dal halwa which was my previous posts.






Ingredients:
1 kg Carrot
1.5l milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 katori mixed dry fruits (almonds+ cashew nuts + raisins + chironji)
2 tbsp coconut shredded
1/2 kg khoya
2 tbsp ghee
6 tbsp sugar



Procedure:
  • Shred all the carrots and keep aside.
  • Take a wide pan or a kadahi. Pour in the milk.
  • Let the milk boil add in the cardamom powder.
  • When the milk starts boiling, add in the shredded carrots.
  • Let this cook for 40-50. so that the milk and the carrots are cooked well.
  • After this add in the khoya + mix dry fruits
  • Let this cook for another 20 minutes.
  • After this add in the sugar..
  • Let all this cook for another 30 minutes.
  • Keep stirring the halwa from time to time so that it does not stick to the base.
  • After all the milk has evaporated add ghee.
  • Mix well.
  • Let it cook for another 15 minutes.
  • Serve hot.
I make this halwa in large quantity so tat it sits in my fridge for a good 4-5 days. And whenever I have sweet cravings I just need to warm it and devour it.


1 comment: